In 2020, about 70% of the population in the EU lived in owner-occupied dwellings, while the remaining 30% lived in rented dwellings, according to data released by Eurostat, the EU’s statistical office.
The percentages in Cyprus are in line with the EU average, since 68.6% of the population lived in owner-occupied dwelling (69.7% in the EU), while 31.4% lived as a tenant in rented housing.
The highest shares of ownership were observed in Romania, where 96% of the population lived in owner-occupied dwelling, followed by Slovakia (92%), Hungary and Croatia (both 91%).
In all Member States, except for Germany, owning is most common. In Germany’s case, half of the population own their home and the other half lives in a rented home (50.4% and 49.6% respectively).
The shares of homeownership were lowest also in Austria (55.3%) and Denmark (59.3%).
When it comes to the largest share of the population living in rented homes in 2020, Cyprus was in 7th place out of 26 member states (there was no available data for Italy).